Saturday, 11 October 2008

The Kiwi Contingent - Jolene


While nursing a grade 3 hangover one lovely Buller morning I foolishly told my sister over coffee I could run a half marathon. As I was clearly incapable of making intelligent thoughts that day, she should have stopped me. The Buller Gorge Half Marathon was my first and after that I was officially “a runner”. That is how it starts…

To feed the monster, I set my sights on the teams event in the Speights Coast to Coast – A frolick in New Zealand’s lovely countryside turned out to be 243km of gruelling mixed terrain multisport madness (usually in the rain) munching on soggy vegemite sangers and throwing back the Leppin Squeezies - Good times. But with the help of training partner / mentor / coach / fellow numbnut (Heather Tommasi), “we knocked the bastard off” (as Sir Ed would say).

I arrived on these sunny shores in October 2007, just in time to take my seat at Millenium Stadium in Cardiff and watch the AB’s go down to the French in the world cup semi final - I have no comments to make on this issue.

So far, in the UK I have tackled the Cornwall leg if the Coastal Trail series and the Bristol Half Marathon (highly recommend both of these runs) – But now it’s time to work off those Cornish pasties. Paris will be my first attempt at a full marathon, and I have faith in my Baincinq mates and motivational coach, Miss Butler to help keep me out of mischief and get me to the finish.

Jog on.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW... what a picture and with those legs my street-cred. has just suddenly gone up 150% - glad to have you as a running mate!
No worries then about pulling the bloke during next Thursday evening's run, Jolene - and if he happens to pass you by, George and I will be at the ready to trip him up...
What a pace-maker you've turned out to be!

Anonymous said...

Great legs Joles. See you do take after your Mum.
This is a great blog site and I will be keeping a regular watch on how everyone is going with the trainings. Good luck to everyone and well done on getting into the Paris marathon.
Jolene if you can do the gruelling Coast to Coast you can do anything.

temoananui said...

Trip him up? - great idea. I wonder if he needs an old pan for cooking...

Anonymous said...

Yep, well I am that sister that Joel was talking about and if you had all seen her that day she quoted she was going to do a half marathon, then you all would have bet your houses that she wasn't going to do it. If anyone has seen my sister hungover you will know what I'm talking about. But look at how far she has come and there is no way in hell that I am going to underestimate her. Go Joelsy!
But nothing can be as tough as swimming in the Ohikanui River in the middle of Winter.....beat that folks.