Running is in my genes, my father having run innumerable half marathons, the London Marathon (twice) and, of course, Paris. Most of his training and racing was done in a pair of Dunlop Green Flash plimsoles…My own running career began with several Race For Life 5k runs, which were always good fun – despite the support team not always quite getting into the sisterly spirit of the races. On more than one occasion husband Laurence was heard shouting encouragement along the lines of “Come on Haze, keep going…that lady in front looks like she’s completely had it so you can easily overtake her and I reckon you’ll finish in the top hundred!”.
I then progressed to longer 10k races, often involving training sessions round the reservoir in Cheddar. A beautiful, tranquil and uplifting place to run, other than the time when a wasp flew straight up my t-shirt causing me to strip-off mid-stride in front of everyone. A different type of uplifting experience ensued, for which some of the local villagers are apparently still receiving counselling.
After various races in and around London I went into semi-retirement before bursting back onto the running scene and running the Bath Half Marathon two years in a row. Flushed with success, I decided that nothing less than a marathon would do, and so here I am.
As you can see from the picture, I’ve already managed to find some great value ‘rustic accommodation’ just on the outskirts of Paris (at least I think that’s what the sign outside “La Porcherie” says; French isn’t my strength) - so it’s onwards and upwards from here.
3 comments:
B says “ I know that you are going to win Mum. YES!”
You're a "Super-Trooper" Hazel - a pace-setter extraordinaire and judging by yesterday's run - Paris will be a mere stroll in the park for you... roll on Sunday 5th April2009!
I'm so proud of you Hazey Daze. What an energetic child my first born is. I've no doubt that your years of sleep deprivation with my gorgeous grandchildren will stand you in good stead on those early morning runs x
Post a Comment