Sunday, 9 November 2008

High Tech Hazel

Ever the stickler for accuracy I am now the proud owner of a Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS.


This amazing gadget allows the user to track distance run, route, pace per mile, degree of ascent/descent, calories burned, etc. Truly an amazing piece of kit...amazingly complicated that is!

When I went for my first test run with it, a "two hour run" felt like it became 30 of minutes actual running preceded by an hour and a half of fiddling, button pressing, acquiring satellites, losing satellites. Aaargh! The iPod-like bezel which controls the functions is THE most over sensitive and difficult to use device I have ever encountered! Most annoying of all, I had to ask Laurence to help me set-it up.

However, having used the watch on a few runs now I'm really pleased with it. It works really well, is very motivational and is easy to use (once you get the hang of it).

I don't even mind the fact that George asks "How far Hazel?" every few yards...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you remember to push a button at the start and another at the end.....
Apparently there are some who find that a little tricky!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! don't listen to him Laura.

Hazel I can't believe a watch is more sensitive and difficult to use than Lawrence! as you say' with practice....'

Anonymous said...

Hazel, I don't understand why you need help from a man who finds it difficult to navigate his way home.

Sorry SIL x

Anonymous said...

George,

Me, sensitive and difficult to use? You're having a laugh! As a bloke all I need to keep me happy is a steady intake of chips and beer...which might explain why Hazel is the better runner...

Moonwalking Mum,

Why does she need help? Because i) it has got more than one button and ii) she ignores the first rule of all gadgets: RTFM!

;-)